Sunday, August 9, 2026

 

Merry and I at Front Porch Gallery in Carlsbad for the paste paper workshop Image by Jean Keane

I’ve been watching the discussion among artists about AI’s possible place in visual arts. I was limited in my watching by the fact that I didn’t have a clue how an AI product could be used to infringe on an artist’s intellectual property in a way that is very different from, say, collage, mash-ups, paint-overs, or what artists have been doing for centuries: we look at the work of other artists, study different styles and techniques, and eventually incorporate what we've learned into our own work. To “illuminate” (pun intended) my thoughts, I visited my local ChatGPT. Oh, my. No answers there, just another question. Who stands to make $$$. I’m thinking lawyers.

BTW, Stand by for more workshops from me (I hope). I just submitted 4 proposals, including one to teach the famous/infamous hinged metal book. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'll keep you all in the loop.

   "Take Me for I Ride in the Car Car" from cans, scrape metal. And a metal hinge, of course.


The World is STILL Run by Those Who Show Up

O.k. I know that sometimes it’s not possible to show up, even virtually. I want to encourage you to keep up with what our County Arts and Culture Commission is doing. Meeting agendas and minutes are on-line 24/7 at https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/cao/edga/arts-culture-commission/meetings/2026.html

August 17 12-1330, County Arts Initiative Subcommittee meets at

1600 Pacific Highway, room 402.

September 17, 11-1300 Meeting of the full County Arts and Culture Commission at 1600 Pacific Highway, room 402.

Until next Sunday, stay safe and well hydrated.



No comments:

Post a Comment