Saturday, December 7, 2013

2014: A Show in the Midwest Every Month-It Can Be Done!


I've been living in the Chicago Northshore for just over a year and have managed to tuck a number of quintessential Midwest experiences under my belt. 
The WINTER, yes, yes, there's always that. But these days what comes more to mind for this 4th-generation California transplant is the bounty: the public art which is over-the-top amazing, the people who are genuinely friendly and kind, the nearby forest reserve that is a constant source of four-legged and feathered visitors, and every time I take the Metra into The City, where I feel like the world is my oyster. 3 monster-sized Dick Blick outlets? Free music in Millennium Park? Eye-candy everywhere you look along Michigan Avenue? Bring it on!
Throwback trip down memory lane to 2001. I decided I needed to up my art career game in the West, so I made myself commit to having art work on public display, in an exhibit,  every day of 2002. S.e.r.i.o.u.s.l.y. hard to do, but the results in terms of work produced, what I learned about the business of art, and the contacts I made were incredibly positive.
Fast forward to next year. I'm feeling the need to do a repeat, kind of. Basically, I know that if I want folks out here to have a sense of my art, I need to get hopping. Expect work on public display in the Midwest every month of 2014. That's the plan and I'm sticking to it. On-line posts won't count. Gotta be real work at a physical address. 
Fortunately, January and one day in February are set
(http://theartcenterhp.org/exhibits/future-exhibits January 10 – February 1st, 2014 Opening Reception: Friday, January 10th 6:30-9:00pm), and February/March is about to be juried.
Wish me luck.
TTFN,
Renee



No comments:

Post a Comment